A colleague recently highlighted some good resources for a clinical issue they had when they saw a young child who was unwell with vomiting and thought to have ingested a plant in their garden.
The question arose could this be poisoning? Now this is not something I had come across in my years in Australia, coming from the UK originally where not everything wants to poison or kill you, it is not something that I think about often!
They recommended two very helpful resources that have pictures to help identify poisonous plants that you need to be concerned about if ingested:
CHQ: Poisonous plants and mushrooms
Raisingchildren.net.au: Dangerous plants
As a Paediatric Emergency Physician and parent, I thought we definitely need to raise awareness of this issue and share these resources for any of you who may come across this in the future. For all the many vomiting children we see, should we start asking along with could they have swallowed a button battery, is there any chance they have eaten a plant in the garden?
Better go and check my garden against this list. . . my toddler is that child who put’s everything in his mouth!
Dr Laura Sumners
Dr Danielle Scarfe